Entertainment / April 26, 2012

The tidal wave of reviewer praise for the foul new HBO show Girls has washed up against a wall of resistance recently. But as far as I can tell, nobody, whether praising or blaming, has actually conveyed what this miserable crap-colored show is like to watch.

First scene: our homely heroine Hannah, played by writer-director-producer-monster Lena Dunham, is trying to persuade her parents to continue supporting her while she lives and perpetually interns in New York City, where everything looks drably brown. These are immediate tip-offs: we’re in mumblecore territory here. Mumblecore’s an indie film genre about contemporary affluent young white people who don’t know what to do with their lives and are generally dreary and despicable. And indeed, Lena Dunham is a mumblecore film director, who did Tiny Furniture in 2010.

So get yourself a bullet to bite, here comes the pain.

Next we have a scene featuring Hannah passively enduring rotten sex with a vile jerk named Adam (Adam Driver). Adam insists that Hannah pretend to be an 11-year-old girl he’s raping after abducting her on her way home from school, and she goes along: fine, whatever. Critic Dave Wiegand, in his rave review of the show, describes this as one of Adam’s “hysterically inappropriate fantasy scenes when he’s having sex.” Yeah, I guess Dave laughed and laughed at those.

Lena Dunham is getting hosannas from critics for exposing her nude doughy depressing body in humiliating ways throughout the show—makes it all so “real,” somehow. They’re all calling Dunham “the voice of her generation,” and maybe she’s the body of her generation too. She must’ve known she could count on critics to dutifully take dictation when she had her character Hannah ironically describe herself as “the voice of my generation…or of a generation.” You can picture them all noting it down carefully, muttering, “’Voice of generation’…oh, yeah, that is GOLD.”

There’s been no irony in the way show-creator Dunham augments her generational-voice status by making the PR rounds, talking about how she was inspired to create Girls because she never saw herself or her friends represented on TV shows. So she set out to remedy this by showcasing her particular demographic, the creepy white female.

The half-hour show drags on as you meet Hannah’s horrible friends, all of whom hold forth with bizarre self-importance on the topics of sex and abortion and AIDS and media and female identity, even the one who’s a cruel caricature of a provincial inexperienced girl (Zosia Mamet). There’s also the mean, square-jawed, gimlet-eyed “best friend” (Allison Williams), and the nasty Brit bitch (Jemima Kirke). All have hard poker faces and flat affectless voices. It’s impossible to imagine them laughing out loud, or relaxing, or having a nice meal or non-grim sex. Maybe they do those things in later episodes, but like I said, it’s tough to imagine.

The backlash against the show has been mainly about the all-whiteness of the cast, the way there are no people in color in Lena Dunham’s NYC except bit-part, background workers here and there. Personally I think people of color have dodged a bullet, and should celebrate their own non-representation in this TV-mumblecore hellscape. While this show slimes along, I like to imagine the whole rest of mixed-race NYC having a terrific time everywhere that Lena Dunham and her friends are not, letting Dunhamites move around in a permanent bubble of privileged-white-girl malevolence, shunned by all decent people.

In response to the criticism about the show’s blinding whiteness, one of the Girls writers, Lesley Arfin, tweeted sarcastically: “What really bothered me most about [the movie] Precious was that there was no representation of ME.”

Later she tried to erase it, but Max Read at Gawker did a fine job tracing Arfin’s history of vicious racist rhetoric. Unfortunately he followed it up by tying himself in knots trying to be “reasonable” about Arfin and Dunham and race and Girls:

Even if Arfin’s dabblings in race jokes and shock slurs are repellent, and beneath her, they’re appropriate; if Girls is the voice of this generation, it needs to give voice to this generation’s discomfort with race, one important manifestation of which is “hipster racism.” (See not justVice but the “Kill Whitey” parties, “Blackface Jesus,” and so on.)

Dunham, for her part, is not a “hipster racist.” When asked about her show’s lack of diversity, she’s been contrite and open to criticism. But her answers are still awkward, and reveal the other way that the kind of people depicted in Girls — should we say upper-middle-class urban millenials? — deal with race: by rendering the nonwhite members of their community — their “generation” — invisible…

Girls is the white people problems show; Precious is the black people problems movie; look, everyone’s been represented. Dunham is self-deprecating, Arfin self-aggrandizing, but the result is the same: there’s no room for people of color in the self-representation the two have created on HBO.

None of which makes Girls‘ portrayal of urban millennial life unrealistic. I’ve been to plenty of dinner parties where everyone was white, including myself. In fact, I’d argue that the show, taken as a whole, is even more accurate for these shortcomings. It really is the voice of a generation: a generation of white people who suck at talking about race.

It’s tough to know where to start grappling with the over-mildness of Read’s argument and the way it sails steadily off course, away from the most important point: the show as a whole is an evil lie. The racial stuff is just bitter top-dressing. Even if you can meet real Dunhamites at certain all-white dinner parties in NYC, why condemn a whole generation of unoffending females by claiming Dunham represents them? I know droves of twentysomething women, a lot of them nicer than I ever was at their age—and I was nice as hell. And they’re rushing around trying to be accomplished and succeeding to a degree that’s downright weird. There’s no reason to accept Girls as an ex cathedra pronouncement from “the voice of a generation” in the first place, much less hope people of color can get in on the horror of it all.

Dunham is already trying to shore up her voice-of-a-generation status by threatening to diversify the cast of Girls in subsequent seasons. Don’t cooperate, people of color! If she tries to cast you, punch her right in the face! Just watch the awful final scene in the first episode of Girls and you’ll see why you want nothing to do with this freak show!

The final scene features Hannah at a clinic where she’s getting tested for AIDS, a personal obsession of hers. There’s a woman of color as the gynecologist who’s forced to play the role as the wise-subaltern, feeding straight lines to Lena Dunham while squatting between her legs, so Dunham can toss off more of her dubious wit and wisdom about the harsh realities faced by snotty white mumblecore females today. I’ll let Ken Tucker of Entertainment Weekly, who loves the show, tell it:

“You could not pay me enough to be 24 again,” says Hannah’s OB/GYN. “Well, they’re not paying me at all” [Hannah] shoots back, feet in stirrups, gazing at the ceiling.

I don’t even get why that dialogue’s any good, but Tucker just can’t get over the genius of it.

Dunham…has created a character, Hannah, who’s vividly funny but also poignantly vulnerable and bristlingly smart. I’ve been reading that she’s a new voice for her generation, but I’m hear [sic] to tell ya: I ain’t in Dunham’s generation, and I think this show is superb….

Unemployed twenty-somethings and older: Start saving up for that HBO subscription….

Here Tucker illustrates the real menace of the show. It’s not enough that it’s regarded by many fatheads as practically unvarnished reportage, documenting the reality of young female life in contemporary America. On top of that, young women are urged to watch it in those terms. Y’see “girls,” it’s YOU. A barbarous insult! Them should be considered fightin’ words. But instead, gushing reviews, high-praise blogging and tweeting, all that voice-of-a-generation stuff, egging on gullible people to accept this heinous propaganda as authentic female experience.

One final note of gloom: it was only a few weeks ago that I started ranting about the dangers of mumblecore, but already this makes it official. The mumblecore cancer has metastasized. It’s spread from DIY indie films rarely seen outside film festivals to Judd Apatow-produced comedies playing in the smallest theaters in the multiplex and now to Judd Apatow-produced cable-TV shows in homes everywhere. It’s hopeless merely trying to cut out the tumorous growths. Time to crank up the radical radiation therapy, but we have to face facts: the prognosis is pretty damn negative.

Read more: , , , , , , , Eileen Jones, Entertainment

• 1. o0o  |  June 12th, 2012 at 12:46 pm

i’m gathering “mumblecore” is something like Tao Lin but movies instead of books?

i did catch one episode of this show and laughed loud at the old-man balls: a rich, loamy source of humor which not even the tireless Adam Sandler managed to exhaust.

• 2. Seymour Hampton  |  June 28th, 2012 at 9:00 pm

HBO’s “GIRLS” turned me gay. I now have no interest in women whatsoever.

• 3. Becky "G"  |  June 30th, 2012 at 12:30 pm

The only reason this sleaze is on the air – and declared “important” – is that it upholds all the P.C./B.S. totems such as fretting over AIDS risk via heterosexual sex.

It’s the middlebrow equivalent to a Sarah Lawrence gender studies colloquium.

• 4. Jorge Espinoza  |  June 30th, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Funny how these “nuclear winter” series (e.g. ‘2 Broke Girls’) Hollywood produces about the new Depression Era always blame the Wall Street bogeyman.

Why don’t we ever hear about “their” blame? It’s as if our media monopoly was foreign to epic greed, a shallow culture of material excess, shabby ethics, and even sleazier business practices.

• 5. Disgusted  |  July 2nd, 2012 at 12:25 am

You can hate the show. You can hate the (perceived) racism. That’s fine. But don’t hate on someone’s “doughy, depressing body.” That’s just (perceived) doughism and makes me feel so disgusted with myself, why must you remind me of…well, I’m too disgusted to tell you…The fact that I come on here and get really angry about your white doughism, but dismiss (perceived) racism really exposes the caliber of the person commenting here. It also makes me sound a bit racist and doughy.

In general, the bacon bits spitting from my mouth throuhout this comment is rather off-putting and disgusting.

• 6. Karli  |  September 10th, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I Love that show!! Don’t care what you say.

• 7. Smoke  |  September 19th, 2012 at 12:02 am

WoW……. I have nothing better to devote my time on than trolling this blog and commenting on your article. There is always some website out there that people can relate too. This one might not be my cup of tea… So I should get over it and find a different website instead of spending all this negative energy commenting on an article that is physically hurting me in my butt. I should just click to another site ….. thankfully I’m not one of those idiots who uses the cliche about “it’s about freedom of speech.” So I’ll try to move on and get a life!

• 8. JFArt  |  September 19th, 2012 at 7:28 pm

I love this site! And I hate my job working PR trolling social media to boost this shitty fucking show Girls. Truth is, I wish Girls would get hit by a hantavirus outbreak it sucks so badly.

• 9. JFArt  |  September 19th, 2012 at 7:33 pm

That is not what I wrote at all.

• 10. jofjkack  |  September 30th, 2012 at 8:33 am

this author is bitter
    and so am i bc i think the tv show isn’t bad

• 11. megan  |  October 14th, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Its a crap tv show and I am here on behalf of the social media PR firm hired by Girls to go around trying to blunt criticism of what’s really a shitty and evil show. Tell me how I’m doing, my boss will appreciate it!

• 12. KIMMIKU  |  November 17th, 2012 at 1:37 pm

This article is horrible. It’s just scolding without argumentation. The emptiness of your opinion irritates me. And yet, not a single fuck was given.
    on the side, I have a strong presumption that you yourself are quite a boring broad. and a bit homely looking too? I flamed you good right? Gossip girl good?

• 13. poopy pants  |  December 5th, 2012 at 8:01 pm

It’s poop TV, but entertaining poop TV. come on guys, who would bone Lena Dunham? I know I would. After a few spliffs, would be trippy and good.

• 14. OhYeahThatisGold  |  December 16th, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I couldn’t decide which was worse…the one show I watched of Girls or the annoying commercials. This article, however, made it all worth wile.

• 15. Tiffany  |  December 26th, 2012 at 1:47 am

I hate this show as well. What made me even more depressed was when my friend who studied in New York for 4 years told me that she knew a lot of people who behaved and talked like this. There’s a lot of despicable characters on TV, but even a serial killer is more interesting to watch.

• 16. Chris  |  January 1st, 2013 at 1:32 am

Ah, politics, politics. Who cares. My only problem with the show? It’s not funny. The jokes are stupid. End of discussion.

• 17. Nikki  |  January 9th, 2013 at 1:56 pm

So, I happen to enjoy Girls. I didnt at first. I thought it was dark. I was expecting the uppity Sex and the City but for the younger generation. That said, I love this show because not only is it filmed really well, written honestly and cast perfectly, but even through the darkness is inspiration. Im an actress, and I can see the values in it that perhaps you and others personally can not. Its nothing to write about. Its a show. Its a form of entertainment. Its something for those who can relate. If not, turn on one of the other 5000 channels on tv. I say good for Lena. Sure, shes homely, but she does it well and with a comedic twist. She uses what shes got and thats all any of us can do.

Eileen, your article however well written, is just as dark and bleak as what you say you don’t like about the show. I would venture to call you hypocritical.

You dont inspire, you actually conspire.
    And why bring race into something like this? Its the poeple who bring up “oh there are no blacks in this movie” that see the color difference. Were all people and everyone, black, white, brown, yellow, green have our own personal issues, and of course the bulk of issues that is created from ignorant opinions, such as racism.

My point is, relax. This is just one story, if you dont like it, dont like it, but please don’t preach about how this one show is the hideous end all. Its a little dramatic and mumblecore. 😉

• 18. Angie  |  January 11th, 2013 at 1:46 am

Good LORD, HBO please, please, please cancel this POS and that nasty, fugly, bigger POS Lena Dunham. I had the awful experience of hearing that rancid brat speak on the wonderful Craig Ferguson show. At one point, she called dogs stupid. Craig Ferguson was stunned, and he tried to make a feeble joke out of it… What type of c*nt hates dogs? This c*nt
    –> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lena_Dunham
    FYI, Sex in the City has been done and it was colorful, witty and a (general) joy to watch. I’d rather watch my turds happily float in the bowl than watch ‘Girls’. ‘Nuff said?

• 19. horrible show  |  January 14th, 2013 at 7:39 am

This show is so horrible I recorded and watched most of an episode then deleted the rest on my dvr. Its crap and not interesting and characters and story show all suck. I cant believe HBO renewed it. They must have been forced or had nothing else to put in the time slot. So they figured this worthless crap is better than nothing WRONG! Wrong! Sooooooo disappointed with this show.

• 20. Jack  |  January 14th, 2013 at 8:32 am

Those who decry the “lack of diversity” on this show never mention the overwhelming amount of Jews on the show – and in Hollywood.

• 21. get over it  |  January 17th, 2013 at 2:17 pm

I AM SO SICK AND TIRED OF WHITE PEOPLE TELLING THE WORLD WHEN WE SHOULD HAVE A PROBLEM WITH RACE! THE ONLY PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT PC OR GIRLS….ARE WHITE PEOPLE! WHY DON’T YOU LET PEOPLE OF COLOR SPEAK ABOUT HOW THEY FEEL FOR THEMSELVES! SHUT UP! I LIKE THE SHOW AND I HAPPEN TO BE ONE BLACK OPINION. THERE WAS SEX AND THE CITY AND PEOPLE LOVED THAT SHIT BUT GIRLS YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH!? HELLO…THERE WAS ALREADY AN ANSWER TO THE LACK OF DIVERSITY IN LADY LAND…THE SHOW ‘GIRLFRIENDS’!! ALL BLACK CAST OF WOMEN BESTIES. iF YOU REALLY WANT TO DO CROSS COMPARISONS YOU NEED TO INCLUDE GIRLFRIENDS IN THAT OTHERWISE YOU DON’T CARE ABOUT THE TOPIC YOU HAVEN’T DONE YOUR HOMEWORK AND DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT! NEXT, THE SHOW IS ABOUT AN INTIMATE GROUP OF FOUR FRIENDS TWO OF WHOM ARE RELATED AND ALL OF WHICH LOOK JEWISH TO ME SO NO THERE MIGHT NOT BE A BROWN PERSON IN THAT PARTICULAR SMALL GROUP. NOT EVERY GROUP OF FRIENDS HAS A BLACK GIRL AND IF LENA ADDED ONE Y’ALL WOULD JUST CALL HER A TOKEN ANYWAY! I CAN SEE IF THE CAST STARTED TO EXPAND TO CO-WORKERS AND FRIENDS-OF-FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS BUT UNTIL THEN IT IS PERFECTLY REALISTIC FOR A TINY CORE GROUP TO CONTAIN ONLY PLAIN LOOKING JEWISH-ESQUE GIRLS. FUCK OFF! I HATE ALL THE WHITE PEOPLE THAT COMPLAIN ABOUT THE LACK OF DIVERSITY ON THE SHOW THAT’S WHAT I HATE! SINCE WHEN WERE DATING TROUBLES AND VIRGINITY AND MONEY AND PARENTS AND JOBS EXCLUSIVELY WHITE HIPSTER ISSUES? SO BLACK ISSUES ARE JUST HIV AND WEED AND POVERTY! FUCK OFF! SOME BLACKS ARE YOUNG AND MIDDLE CLASS AND GOING THROUGH WHAT THE SHOW DEPICTS. SOME BLACKS ARE VERY MODERN AND IN TUNE WITH CURRENT EVENTS. ALSO SOME YOUNG BLACKS ARE DATING WHITES AND MAY FIND THEMSELVES IN THIS WORLD SUDDENLY SO THE SHOW MIGHT SPEAK TO THEM. IT’S ONE EXAMPLE OF A CLUSTER OF EXPERIENCES. I CAN RELATE TO SOME THINGS AND OTHERS NOT SO MUCH. IT IS ENTERTAINMENT NOT A DOCUMENTARY FUCKTARDS GO WATCH REAL HOUSEWIVES IF YOU DON’T LIKE IT. PEOPLE JUST HATE LENA BECAUSE SHE’S NOT A PERFECT 10. THE WHITE ARROGANCE THAT THEY CAN WRITE ARTICLE AFTER ARTICLE ON ANOTHER GROUP’S BEHALF IS HILARIOUS.

• 22. Dee  |  January 17th, 2013 at 2:42 pm

I thought I was the only person who hated this show!I love SATC how can they say it is that good??? The characters are neither funny or interesting zzzzzzz. I live in the UK and the media love it. Yuk

• 23. get over it  |  January 17th, 2013 at 3:16 pm

ANOTHER THING…WHY IS IT THAT ONLY BLACKS ARE BEING TARGETED AS NOT BEING REPRESENTED THERE ARE JUST AS MANY HISPANIC AND/OR LATINO PEOPLE IN NYC ALONG WITH EVERY OTHER NATIONALITY ON THE PLANET! ADDING A PUERTO RICAN CAST MEMBER WOULD BE JUST AS WELL. ALL THE WOMEN OF THE WORLD ARE THROWING UP THEIR HANDS SAYING THAT’S NOT ME ON SCREEN I DON’T ACT LIKE THAT….YES YOU DO!! OH IF I COULD HAVE RECORDED ALL THE HAPPY HOURS AND DINNER PARTIES AND COLLEGE PARTIES WHERE HORRIBLE GIRLS ACTED WAY WORSE THAN THE ONES ON THE SHOW. GIRL-TALK AS IT’S CALLED IS ACTUALLY POTENTIALLY HORRIBLE AND THE SHOW IS NOT AS BAD AS SOME REAL LIFE CONVERSATIONS I HAVE WITNESSED. AND IN ALL THESE CASES I WAS THE ONLY PERSON OF COLOR IN THE ROOM. HOWEVER IF YOU MADE A SHOW ABOUT THE DIALOGUE OF THE CONVERSATIONS I’VE WITNESSED WITH OTHER LADIES OF COLOR IT WOULD BE JUST AS BAD AND SHALLOW AT TIMES! GIRLS LET THEIR GUARD DOWN AND BEHAVE BADLY WITH ONE ANOTHER SOMETIMES AND THE SHOW DEPICTS THAT. LADIES OF THE WORLD ARE JUST TERRIFIED THAT THEY ARE BEING FOUND OUT. I AM DISGUSTED WITH THE WAY EILEEN JONES (I AM ASSUMING AN OLDISH WHITE LADY) ADDRESSED THE TOPIC OF RACE AND ADDRESSED PEOPLE OF COLOR, ALL COLORS IN THIS ARTICLE. LIKE SHE IS SOME INSIDER WITH A PASS AND WE ARE JUST SO DEFENSELESS SHE HAS TO PROTECT US FROM THE SHOW. FUCK OFF AND DON’T EVER TELL ME WHAT TO DO OR LIKE OR SEE!

• 24. tom murphy  |  January 30th, 2013 at 2:36 pm

well, with criticism like this, you can rest assured that no woman who is not a “10” in the patriarchy’s book will EVER have the gall to try to express herself again.

Congrats

Ouch! Betcha that really hurt. Happy now, oppressor?! H’m?

Sanctimoniously yours,

Tom Thumbdick

• 25. zang  |  February 1st, 2013 at 11:47 am

I’m glad to see that I’m not the only person who thinks this show is tripe. I watched it because my wife heard it was a great show. I don’t have the anger about it that a lot of people seem to have, but I also have no desire to ever watch it again. The only thing that kept me from being 100% bored was the irritating characters. I guess I was 90% bored, 10% irritated. Putting all the racist stuff aside, this show just plain sucks.

• 26. Ellen  |  February 4th, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Couldn’t agree more. This show is just so depressing …. “Finally, a show for the overweight insecure ‘smart’ girl who angrily believes she deserves to be admired for her snarky insights while forever demeaning herself in the quest for a boyfriend….” We all know women like Hannah – they’re simultaneously sad and irritating, and we try to politely get out of the conversation when they accost us at work to talk about themselves. Who wants to watch a show about that girl unless you are that girl. Maybe there are a way more of those girls out there than I thought.

• 27. Ralph  |  February 6th, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I just love it when commenters think they have a way of really stickin’ it to a reviewer who hurt them. Thank you AEC for making sure that commenters like this are reeducated

• 28. Alter_idem  |  February 22nd, 2013 at 6:50 am

The good thing about all of this is that people can love this show or hate it and there will always be at least a few people who people who agree.

• 29. rss  |  March 19th, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I am way, way, way older than the audience for the show and probably for this conversation, but reading most of the comments (after watching a few episodes of the show and reading the “critics” going ga-ga) restores my belief that, to paraphrase, “the millenials are all right!” Your revulsion mirrors mine, which put me in a funk because I did NOT want to believe that the show as anything but the expression of an overprivileged, clueless, spoiled white girl.
    Thanks y’all. I know the world will be okay in your hands.

• 30. Jerome  |  March 22nd, 2013 at 8:40 am

Good news: nobody actually watches this show, except people who hate it…and TV critics.

• 31. Kalahari  |  March 27th, 2013 at 9:23 am

I can’t help but notice a pattern–a fiction show about privileged white women airs. a few years later it is followed by a more real-life based show on privileged white women on a rival network:

The O.C.–>Laguna Beach, the HIlls, etc.
    Gossip Girl–>Girls and whatever’s next.
    Desperate Housewives–>real housewives of LA, NYC, ATL, etc.

I feel like modern TV looked at 80s evening soaps and said, let’s have women act even more shamefully, and at a 10-20 years younger age.

And I am over gross Apatow creations. Wow, women can be as gross and immature as men? No freaking way. what a MF revelation!

I am passing on ever watching Girls. I am really OVER NYC masturbating about its natives lives everywhere you look. What would be a piece of shite anywhere else is genius coming out of NYC.

• 32. Poop  |  March 28th, 2013 at 1:47 am

I thought it was funny (the show, that is).

• 33. dweeb  |  September 14th, 2013 at 9:32 pm

I agree that Girls is as awful as you write. In other words, most of my unedited comment was pointless. Thank you, AEC.

• 34. Molly  |  October 18th, 2013 at 8:06 am

Well, I watched 1 1/2 episodes last night, and found this article after Googling “girls is depressing “. But it’s not THAT bad. I’m a white 24 year old girl but as I am nothing like any of the characters (thank god) I am just not expecting to relate to them, so she may be the “voice if my generation ” but I’m not letting her speak for me if I can help it. Also, in the first episode, the virginal dork Shoshanna has that book addressing women as “the ladies “: who are the ladies?! Not us! Is the consensus, so I doubt that Dunham was not unaware of the irony. I’m gonna force myself to watch it again tonight : maybe I’ll keep a bucket next to me in case I have to puke my guts out when that despicable skinny white boy Adam rears his head!

• 35. Rammuel  |  November 30th, 2013 at 9:00 pm

I just came across this article while searching “Why do hipsters hate GIRLS TV show and/or Lena Dunham” and I gotta say, this is some of the funniest comments I’ve read yet. Loved Dunham’s movie and I love her show even more. And I’m not some privileged, twenty-something white girl: I’m just a fan of people who have something interesting to say. Lena Dunham has something to say. And if you read “Some of My Best Friends Are Black: The Strange Story of Integration in America” by Tanner Colby then you’ll see that Max Reed’s analysis of GIRLS’ “lack” of racial diversity hits the nail right on the head.

• 36. David  |  January 16th, 2014 at 10:49 am

I don’t get why a show is bad because it has no black people in it. There are plenty of shows with no white people. Our country is obsessed with making sure every picture, tv show or movie meets some racial formula. Look at any promotional picture for a school. They have to include one of each race. Of course if you go to that school you will see a much different distribution and it is rare that clicks are are divided into same color groups. It is odd to have a mixed race close nit group. I know they exist but they are rare. When they do happen it is not even. You will see one token color included in a group of another color. That is just how life happens it is not racist.

• 37. T. Mitchell  |  January 17th, 2014 at 9:57 pm

The show is an extremely narrow slice of as seen through its creator and star. I only recently viewed a few episodes, as I wanted to see what all the “hoopla” was about – not much as it turns out. Great music and cinematography. The characters are unlikeable, the story lines are dull, and Dunham is one of the most unattractive women to grace the small screen in awhile.
    She belongs behind the scenes, not in front of it. I hope she can hurdle her self obsession enough to leverage her writing ability to create more worthy product. And I honestly thought this show was a parody or satire, lol

• 38. Erk  |  December 5th, 2014 at 8:54 am

This article is so completely exactly what I wanted to read. Not only was it that, but the points made in the article were totally accurate and supported by evidence! I love it when people see through to the core of a situation, and this article’s author has completely pinned what is wrong with this show. The comments on Ken Tucker gave me a triumph-like satisfaction from the show’s defeat. Self-deprecating people are often the most self-absorbed, and the author knows this.

• 39. Rattegif  |  January 2nd, 2015 at 5:01 pm

I was agreeing on everything till you started bitching about diversity and a white cast