The War Nerd / August 31, 2011

Dude on the right look local?

A sharp-eyed reader named Pete S. sent me a picture off an Al Jazeera blog on Libya with what Pete thinks might be an SAS operator taking in the parade. This is the guy on the right in this photo, the one holding the rifle with the scope. The one with the badass fingerless leather gloves.

He does look a little pale for a Libyan, but then a whole lot of people have wandered along the North African coast at one time or another and passed some time with the local ladies, so I’d imagine there’s quite a lively gene pool in those parts.

But this guy does look better equipped, older and more professional than most of the insurgents. And he’s holding that scoped rifle in proper rest position, like he’s been trained. Of course he could just be ex-Libyan army. What really makes me think he’s a European is that turban. Something about these Euros, once they hit the desert they just can’t wait to get into local costume.

So maybe Pete’s right, and we’ve got live pix of Lawrence of Libya. Although if he is a foreign ringer, his name’s more likely to be Pierre of Libya, because it’s the French who are really taking the lead in this one.

So what do Libyan readers make of this shot?

Is this guy a fellow Libyan, entitled to wear an “I Survived Big Q” t-shirt? Or is he what us Americans like to call an “advisor,” as in advising people to lie down and die when he puts one in their heads with that fancy gun of his?

You tell me.

UPDATE: Pete just informed me that the picture has been taken down from Al Jazeera’s blog.

Read more: , , , , Gary Brecher, The War Nerd

• 1. D  |  September 6th, 2011 at 9:35 am

That guys looks like Mossad to me.

Yeah, the moderators pretty much think that all the news they pretend to care so deeply about is a joke here. The joke is on you for believing their reporting to be without an agenda. They are laughing at your sincerity as you comment.

Moderate me please, for I am with the pansies.

• 2. informer  |  September 8th, 2011 at 1:52 pm

There has been a large number of Muslim Europeans fighting in Libya , an example can be seen in Husam Najjair who was born in Dublin Ireland but had a Libyan father and believed that he was needed to help rid Libyan of a tyrant http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Dublin-born-Libyan-rebel-in-frontline-of-war-against-Gaddafi-126572258.html

• 3. TJ  |  September 15th, 2011 at 5:37 am

As already posted the guy pictured is Husam Najjair.

See him in the following videos

• 4. ScutFarkas  |  October 18th, 2011 at 1:43 am

At first I was going to say that the slight “dip” of his nose below the “tip” seemed to make the nose more characteristic of Semitic peoples than the comparably-sized Celtic or English versions of that nose. However, what clinched it for me are the EYEBROWS. Look at the eyebrows- totally British.

• 5. DeeboCools  |  November 9th, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Is it this guy? http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/with-gaddafi-dead-matthew-vandyke-who-joined-libyan-rebels-finally-returns-to-md/2011/11/05/gIQAipAoqM_story.html

• 6. felix  |  November 9th, 2011 at 10:33 pm

It must be the Irish contingent – is this the chap second from the left?

• 7. felix  |  November 9th, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Oh it is…forgot to notice comments 29 & 33 above. The guy had a bit of bad luck lately….

• 8. Trevor  |  November 15th, 2011 at 8:26 am

Okay, I’m late to this but I’d like to cast a vote for western special forces. I want to say British since they are ridiculously fond of the head-wrapping and also because, well, I don’t know what French SF troops look like. Probably a point in their favor, means they take that “quiet professional” stuff seriously.

• 9. LibyanGuy325  |  September 12th, 2012 at 10:48 pm

We have many light skinned Libyans in Libya with blue eyes blonde hair green eyes you name it. They are originally from the mountain areas in Libya.

• 10. salom  |  August 14th, 2014 at 8:26 pm

He would have been better served if he he took to the locals and wore the attire of the blo9ke on the left.