Dispatch / Occupy Wall Street / December 2, 2011

Yasha Levine was forced to surrender his freedom, as well as his shoe laces…for his own protection

I finally got home Thursday afternoon after spending two nights in jail, and have had a hard time getting my bearings. On top of severe dehydration and sleep deprivation, I’ve got one hell of pounding migraine. So I’ll have to keep this brief for now. But I wanted to write down a few things that I witnessed and heard while locked up by LA’s finest…

First off, don’t believe the PR bullshit. There was nothing peaceful or professional about the LAPD’s attack on Occupy LA–not unless you think that people peacefully protesting against the power of the financial oligarchy deserve to be treated the way I saw Russian cops treating the protesters in Moscow and St. Petersburg who were demonstrating against the oligarchy under Putin and Yeltsin, before we at The eXiled all got tossed out in 2008. Back then, everyone in the West protested and criticized the way the Russian cops brutally snuffed out dissent, myself included. Now I’m in America, at a demonstration, watching exactly the same brutal crackdown…

While people are now beginning to learn that the police attack on Occupy LA was much more violent than previously reported, few actually realize that much—if not most—of the abuse happened while the protesters were in police custody, completely outside the range of the press and news media. And the disgraceful truth is that a lot of the abuse was police sadism, pure and simple:

* I heard from two different sources that at least one busload of protesters (around 40 people) was forced to spend seven excruciating hours locked in tiny cages on a Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Dept. prison bus, denied food, water and access to bathroom facilities. Both men and women were forced to urinate in their seats. Meanwhile, the cops in charge of the bus took an extended Starbucks coffee break.

* The bus that I was shoved into didn’t move for at least an hour. The whole time we listened to the screams and crying from a young woman whom the cops locked into a tiny cage at the front of the bus. She was in agony, begging and pleading for one of the policemen to loosen her plastic handcuffs. A police officer sat a couple of feet away the entire time that she screamed–but wouldn’t lift a finger.

* Everyone on my bus felt her pain–literally felt it. That’s because the zip-tie handcuffs they use—like the ones you see on Iraq prisoners in Abu Ghraib—cut off your circulation and wedge deep through your skin, where they can do some serious nerve damage, if that’s the point. And it did seem to be the point. A couple of guys around me were writhing in agony in their hard plastic seats, hands handcuffed behind their back.

* The 100 protesters in my detainee group were kept handcuffed with their hands behind their backs for 7 hours, denied food and water and forced to sit/sleep on a concrete floor. Some were so tired they passed out face down on the cold and dirty concrete, hands tied behind their back. As a result of the tight cuffs, I wound up losing sensation in my left palm/thumb and still haven’t recovered it now, a day and a half after they finally took them off.

* One seriously injured protester, who had been shot with a shotgun beanbag round and had an oozing bloody welt the size of a grapefruit just above his elbow, was denied medical attention for five hours. Another young guy, who complained that he thought his arm had been broken, was not given medical attention for at least as long. Instead, he spent the entire pre-booking procedure handcuffed to a wall, completely spaced out and staring blankly into space like he was in shock.

* An Occupy LA demonstrator in his 50s who was in my cell block in the Los Angeles Metropolitan Detention Center told us all about when a police officer forced him to take a shit with his hands handcuffed behind his back, which made pulling down his pants and sitting down on the toilet extremely difficult and awkward. And he had to do this in sight of female police officers, all of which made him feel extremely ashamed, to say the least.

* There were two vegetarians and one vegan in my cell. When I left jail around 1:30 pm, they still had not been given food, despite the fact that they were constantly being promised that it would come.

* There were 292 people arrested at Occupy LA. About 75 of them have been released or have gotten out on bail, according the National Lawyers Guild. Most are still inside, slapped with $5,000 to $10,000 bail. According to a bail bondsman I know, this is unprecedented. Misdemeanors are almost always released on their own recognizance, which means that they don’t pay any bail at all. Or at most it’s a $100.

* That means the harsh, long detentions are meant to be are a purely punitive measure against Occupy LA protesters–an order that had to come from the very top.

***

Update: Read Yasha Levine’s latest post on Occupy LA arrest scandal: A Visit to the Raided Occupy LA Camp, Updates From Freed Protesters and Bad News About Our Legal Situation…

Yasha Levine is an editor of The eXiled. You can reach him at levine [at] exiledonline.com.

Want to know more? Read Mark Ames’ appeal for Yasha Levine’s release, as well as the post Levine published just a few hours before he was arrested.

Read more:, Yasha Levine, Dispatch, Occupy Wall Street

• 1. Bradford C.  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 2:43 am

Reminds me of a story I heard about NYPD’s treatment of a f-t-m transgender not too long ago…

“The cells, on the other side of the precinct where they had locked up the other 69 protestors, did not have working toilets so every person who had to use the toilet was
    brought to the one next to where they had me locked to the railing. This was not only
    disgusting but also embarrassing. The smell of urine was so strong that I, and the men
    locked up in the cell in the room that I was in, mentioned the odor on more than
    one occasion.

Once they started bringing women in to use the bathrooms, a short young female officer,
    who was in charge of people locked up in the room where I was handcuffed, harshly
    turned my chair around with my arm still locked to the railing but now pinned behind my back. She said that she knew it hurt but that they were bringing in women to use the
    restroom and she could not have me watching. I had no interest in watching anyone use
    the bathroom, and every-time a male had come into use the restroom I had respectfully
    turned away. This process of people coming in and out to use the restroom went on for
    the full 8 hours.”

Who needs gas chambers? We can smother a person’s dignity by chaining them to a chamber pot.

• 2. iSockpuppet  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 5:18 am

Pigs are horrible people. But nobody will take the OWS crowd seriously until they start executing bankers in front of their families and hang their heads from overpasses. That’s after we peacefully take over the courts and police.

• 3. bulfinch  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 5:31 am

Yasha — I am not a doctor, but based on my personal experience, full sensation/feeling will come back to that hand but it could take weeks and will likely feel twingey for a while. If there’s actual nerve damage, it could take months.

Check it out:

• 4. Trevor  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 7:53 am

First Berkley, now LA – What the hell is with California cops? Even the NYPD has managed better message control than these Stasi wannabes.

• 5. Corey  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 8:27 am

Useless comment trolls are pissing their pants at the thought of going through something like this…

• 6. the dude  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 9:14 am

these fucking jackals get off on your pain, probably had a pretty good time listening to that girl scream on the bus. My girlfriend got beat up by a male officer in her cell when she was in county up here by buffalo. conditions in US county jails is appalling. We have been having a major suicide issue in the Erie County Holding Center the past few years, no doubt due to sadism from the guards up to the warden

• 7. john  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 9:29 am

this is certainly appalling treatment…but the part about the vegetarians and the vegan? seriously? give me a break. no one cares that youre a vegan. no one. that choice — and its consequences — is tantamount to the entitlement that the people on wall street feel.

• 8. James Albert  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 9:30 am

No pain no gain. You lost the battle in this particular case. The city always had the upper hand. What you should have done was leave when you had the opportunity and avoided jail all together. If you think the bankers are fraudulent, imagine how many tax payer dollars we’re wasted on your arrests. It’s probably money that would have been better spent on a plethora of social services.

Civil disobedience doesn’t work on a small scale. The experience you endured was not meant to be pleasurable. Some people had to urinate or even defecate on themselves. That sucks, but it’s certainly not the end of the world. I’ve held for twice as long while serving my country in the USCG.

I appreciate what the occupy camps are doing. You people are true patriots. You knew what you were getting into. Don’t cry about. It makes you look like a bunch of cry babies. Personally I wouldn’t give the city or the police the satisfaction of knowing that they had any effect on me.

• 9. Hooten  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 9:36 am

Poo Wittle comment trolls like me are so angry that not everyone is a spineless sell out, that courageous people like Yasha and the 292 other men and women are willing to put themselves in danger and forfeit their freedom in the holy fight against America’s financial oligarchy, so all I can do is pretend like they are a bunch of drama queens who are say they have to make wee wee in a cell rather than a public park. I’ll say stuff like: “Let’s all give a big boo hoo for Wittle Yasha. He makes a spectacle of himself even after being released. They taught you well down at the Temple YashaPoo.” Ooooh, that sting don’t it, brah?

• 10. Hooten  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 9:38 am

Thought youd see the last of me? Nope, I’m back and am gonna pretend like I lived in Moscow and saw how the Moscow Police treated demonstrators. Yasha, predictably, is exaggerating how LAPD treated this little Rebel Without a Pause in relation to the GAI in Russia.

I’m also gonna say that he just needs more attention from his Mommy. Bet that one hurt, didn’t it?

• 11. Digbee Smith  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 9:39 am

Right on bro! Chickenshit police state humpers like me privately salute the courage of your occupy comrades and comradettes, especially the ones still being locked up!

I know that I would never camp out in downtown LA cuz I can’t handle the stress of being in jail. My mommy says “poor, poor thing.”

• 12. Hooten  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 9:40 am

I am I still here? You betcha! I just can’t get over my admiration for Yashi-Poo!

• 13. Anarchy Pony  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 9:45 am

From California to Greece, fuck the police!

• 14. James  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 9:48 am

Not to minimize this, but I will minimize this because I’m just another police state apologist, but this is how police treat EVERYBODY.

Don’t want to take a shit while handcuffed? Don’t get arrested.

Don’t want to sleep on concrete? Don’t get arrested.

Don’t want to eat garbage that barely qualifies as food? Don’t get arrested.

• 15. adam  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 10:05 am

The cruelty toward the transgender individual in the above comment and the people in Yasha’s post – including him – are unbelievable.

It’s sad to see all the ideals upon which our nation was founded trashed like used up ornaments from the holiday season. It’s even sicker to hear/read people’s comments just brushing it off, as if any inhumane treatment is permissible as long as the ones receiving it don’t share your world view.

Some fucking democracy.

• 16. Eric Jaffa  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 10:11 am

Who decided the bail amount?

• 17. hazey  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 10:13 am

I can’t help with legal funds, but I am going to have to buy you a drink.

• 18. The Government  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 10:28 am

John:

you’re a moron, and that makes you our favorite people. Can’t wait to have you sucking on our tits soon. xoxo

sincerely,

Obama

• 19. Bat-Mite  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 10:36 am

How are people who object to eating chopped up animals at all comparable to scumbags who pour champagne on the heads of protestors, #7? That “let ’em starve” attitude towards vegetarians really bugs me because it’s so popular with the same sort of thickheads who’d be flipping their lids if a Jew didn’t get a kosher meal.

• 20. Ogar  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 10:36 am

Cut to anonymous police brutality apologist in 5…4…3…2…1: Peaceful protest is a false way to explain the situation. For starters you were told days in advance to leave and you decided not to. While I cannot say what type of force was required the police need to go into every situation with as much force as is needed to ensure the job gets completed with minimal injuries. However you were breaking the law and refused to leave after being told to multiple times and this means your safety comes last after every single cop and law abiding citizen. While I cannot say the cops actions were called for as I was not their your actions resulted in you being treated as a criminal. As for the bathroom i guess you would have been happier if the other prisoners were not allowed to use the bathroom? maybe if you and others did not cost the city millions they could have afforded to repair the toilets.

• 21. Johnson  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 10:54 am

*sigh* …

I KNEW it, watching that LA Occupy eviction, that something was too good to be true … I mean, seriously? 1700 cops, tons of buses & squad cars, & SWAT teams just to get a few hundred people out of the park?

And the mayor said he was so proud, too …

well, police brutality never gets old … for the pigs!

• 22. Kim Cooper  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 11:12 am

You forgot to mention that while you were still in custody, the LAPD told the LA Weekly that you were drunk, belligerent and not working as a journalist when arrested.

• 23. Gatorade  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 11:17 am

I’m glad you’re out, Yasha. I’m glad so many people are brave enough to stand up to all of this

• 24. Jeffrey L.  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 11:17 am

I want Ron Kuby! Or Bill Kuntsler!

• 25. cmattiello  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 11:35 am

I live in Pittsburgh, Pa. I’m fighting prison abuse over here. It is horrible, it is every where. Look up “Stanford Prison Experiment” and “The Lucifer Effect” by Psychology Professor Philip Zimbardo.

“over come evil with good.”-Jesus

• 26. helplesscase  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 11:46 am

Yeah, when you talked about the size of the bail, I was wondering if that was the real point of the eviction…how many Occupiers can afford to pay something like that more than once?

• 27. Anarchy Pony  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Thank you dear Almighty eXiled Comment Censor for improving comments of pig supporters like me!

• 28. ramona  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Simple solution :
    Get all 200 people to file separate Small Claims lawsuits against individual policemen (by name).
    Don’t go for any class action (easily dismissed) or high damages (won’t let you proceed without a lawyer).
    Instead use the drag out ancient court proceeding to you advantage and make the pigs go through the grind.
    Repeat every time it happens.
    Try to remember badge numbers !!!!!
    Make their lives a living hell !!!

• 29. Zirb  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Fuck police brutality! Hard time to bring this up, but probably the best time as things are most cogent, but why, oh why, do you all still want the government to do all the supposed great things, when it’s constantly demonstrated that the government rests on this violence?

Because you know, we can handle private corporations and private wealth all on our own! The weak have always handled the super-powerful rich without binding together in government power.

Of course I know it’s true that you guys never said you want government to do all the supposed great things, and that actually what you want is to take government power back from oligarchical control–but anyway, well, yeah, it’s all the government’s fault, and not the fault of unregulated capitalism, finance and corporate power.

• 30. internal exile  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Hasn’t Ames been taking an anti druggie stance lately? I mean no he hasn’t–in fact he argued the opposite, that Ron Paul’s REAL drug stand was a bait-and-switch by transferring the drug war fascism from federal to state level, whereas Ames argued that drugs should be decriminalized at the federal level so that states can’t be fascists about it.

But I’m going to ignore that and pretend that I didn’t hear it, and get all self-righteous and say, with very heavy irony dripping from my libertard-cursor: “Do you get all warm when you think of crackheads getting pushed around in the clink, Mark? How do you think the cops learn this stuff?”

H’m. Maybe they learned it from Blackwater? Or Pinkerton? Or one of the gazillions of private prisons?

• 31. Dave  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Hey this goes out to my fellow PR “sockpuppets” hired by the LAPD to troll social media too (you know who you are, a shout out to my troll-homeez!)–Listen, if you’re using the new SockPuppet+ version of SockPuppetPro, you might want to check out this comment that the program just generated, I think it’s pretty good and should be effective in creating some “confusion or doubt” with the Commies who read this site. Here’s my comment, thanks to this awesome SP+ plug-in:

“I was locked up until yesterday. This account of ‘what happened’ is pure bullshit. Overly dramatic and unnecessary. Sure, people were crying and freaking out, and yes, the plastic ties were uncomfortable, but nothing remotely CLOSE to what you account happened. Its people like you are who I am more scared of than the police.”

Pretty awesome, huh? The part i like best is where the generated-comment says “I’m more scared of protesters and journalists than I am of brutal police.” A buddy of mine on the force laughed and gave me a chest-bump for that one! Anyway, let me know guys if you have awesome troll comments like this one too.

Oops, boss just came into my cubicle, back to work!

• 32. E  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Where is the ACLU while all this is happening? Why isn’t someone communicating with and monitoring law enforcement on behalf of the protesters WHILE all this is going on rather than after?

• 33. dame_folie  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 12:45 pm

while i agree with the whole ohhh if you don’t want to suffer don’t get arrested diatribe (jail is NOT supposed to be a good time.. despite what jackoffs like MBA players get when they’re doing time) i have to wonder at people who make comments like that.. it’s rude.. certainly not helpful and that’s part of the problem.. self entitlement has worked it’s way into the very being of this country.. we’re all a bunch of assholes looking for a pot to shit on and now, the mess we’ve created is looming up at us.. but that does not mean that people should be assaulted and tortured because they are exercising a right to see change.. people who back the police blindly and don’t question inequality will be the ones crying loudest when the shit really hits the fan

• 34. radii  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 12:50 pm

the next round from the banksters will involve Debtors’ prisons and internment camps … they’re almost there already

sad that cops, who almost all UNION, are busting skulls as paid mercenaries for the banksters – acting against their own self-interest since their pensions and housing were decimated by the massive fraud which is being protested

• 35. Brandon Silverman  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 12:59 pm

I was on that other bus Yasha, and those of us in the back were also basically suffocating, as no air had been pumped in for hours. Finally some pleading got the driver to turn on the air – for 30 minutes before turning it off again. We were driven to Van Nuys only to be driven back to Downtown in rush hour traffic, but you’re right – not before the driver got himself some Starbucks.

• 36. Hildy Krish  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 1:03 pm

um…. Have you seen any episodes on tv about the reality show “Jail”? It is not a pleasant experience. You are being brought in for illegal activity. The cops were there at the occupy event because they were called in to bring order and to clear the area. Not that everyone was willing to leave. People are protesting and not budging so what are the cops to do? Oh honey, please, pretty please will you leave the premises? Just step into the vehicle and we will take you to the police station but no need to be handcuffed or anything. Just promise me you won’t try and run off at the first chance you get… Or are you that niave that things would have been that nice?

[The eXiled Censor responds: “Wow, this troll is not naive. How stupid of everyone ever to protest injustice ever. Must feel pretty lame to be nailed as “naive” by a troll, huh? Even I, the mighty Exiled Censor, am too ashamed to improve this comment-to do so would risk being ‘naive.'”]

• 37. proud supporter... of the police  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I don’t even know where to begin I am so appalled by the ignorance of the writer of this article as well as most commenting herein.

You sit there in your brand name shoes and your brand name jeans and brand name jacket and say you are the 99%. You have signs made to carry at your local corner copy store, undoubtedly not thinking twice as you pull out your VISA debit card to pay for it.
    Keep believing you are the 99%, but YOU ARE THE 1%, i.e. American!!!

As for the “police brutality” that you seem to believe you experienced. Think about it for a minute. L.A. likely processes maybe 10 criminals an hour at any given location. When there are more than 200 brought in at one time, it’s going to take a lot longer to do 20+ times the work! The guards have an obligation first to the safety of their staff, second to the facility, and third to the accused who have broken the law.

Yes, it’s going to hurt to be in handcuffs. The cuffs with a fluffy cover are for your dirty bedroom indiscretions, not for someone under arrest who has 1) refused to give in to a public official and 2) likely caused a struggle for the arresting officer who is there to do one thing- get the action to stop. The action could have easily stopped PEACEFULLY if you listed to the directives you were given. When you didn’t listen, you made it an unruly protest.

These protests are more costly than helpful. It takes government money to pay police, sanitation workers, and courts overtime to handle the issues. Instead, this money should be going to the schools where you all should be going to get an education about what is actually going on rather than the PR bullshit that is this article.

[The Mighty Exiled Censor scores this comment a “9.6” for licking boots like bootlicking was going out of style, although you did miss a spot on the toe. Maybe because your tongue was too deep up your policeman’s ass?]

• 38. Wisdom  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Any men on that bus should have found a way to piss onto the driver’s seat and all over the front controls. Frankly, pissing and shitting yourself would be uncomfortable, but would make life miserable for those handling you. Just make sure to rub against them “on accident” as often as possible.

Also, in the instance of the man forced to defecate in front of others in an inhumane way- I would have memorized all of their badges and names and told them all “I’m coming for all of you after your families.”
    It’s easy to find out where police live. See how they like it when they find some threatening indications someone has visited their home when they were gone.

We have to *fight* for our freedom. What’s going on now is about money- and the corporations have it all, so they can continue to buy out the police, courts and local governments. You can beat money. That’s the point of what’s being protested. The narrative is being written by those few with all the money.

• 39. Chris  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 1:13 pm

So what did you do to get arrested? I’m pretending that I have no idea (sorry, I’m using the old “SockPuppetPro 3.1 without the Sockpuppet+ plug-in, bear with me). Might be important for people to decide appropriately (and none of this “I was just sitting there peacefully…” stuff, I’m sure it was completely unwarranted). Yeah really, none of that, because I was there. You can trust me, really!

• 40. Fran  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Kim Cooper, don’t be foolish.

Here’s a quote from the LAWeekly blog you posted:

“In fact he [Levine] did not appear to be working, might have been drunk, and was allegedly “belligerent” when police clearing out the City Hall encampment confronted him and told him to leave, the lieutenant said.”

“Did not appear”? “Might have been”? Could this possibly sound any more like hearsay? Wake up.

• 41. Kyeshinka  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Just imagine those LA pigs getting melted in the World Trade Center. Now I feel better.

H’m, wait a minute. Now why would SockPuppet+ instruct me to post that comment above? That’s weird. Or wait…what if the whole point of that SockPuppet input was to, you know, equate Occupy commenters with Al Qaeda terrorists? Now why would they want to do that? I’ll go ask my boss here at my PR firm, hold on…

• 42. Anton  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Libertarians remind me of born again christians. You can spot a libertard from ONE SENTENCE. But GOD BLESS THE BORN AGAIN CHRISTIANS, they are giants of intellect compared to these fuckheads.

I would rather listen to scientologist, a racist redneck or a Goldman Sach CEO’s 10 hour long briefing than to a libertard. I’d rather listen to a stinking drunkard in the street, a retard with a speach deficiancy talking about masturbating and strangling small animal, ANYBODY!

I would rather listen to Justin Bieber, Cher & Michael Bolton SIMULTANIOISLY than listen to a libertard.

Listening to a libertard is like hearing chalk squeaking on a board, squeeeeeeeeek… Over and fucking over AGAIN. The same fucking empty phrases, the same fucking Never-never-land BS. Like listening to some whiny, drooling fat kid who is upset and complaining ’cause mummy won’t allow him to eat his own shit.

It’s just too much. They just need to go away. They just need to go somewhee real fucking far and build their on fucking Libertopia and die the fuck away.

They whine about the government, but would THEY then ACTUALLY protest by means of civil disobedience AGAINST that government? Hell no!!! They only troll & blog & stink.

• 43. igbos  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I am just waiting for the day it collapses so I can start gettin revenge on all these pig f…better hope u don’t run into me and I find out u were a pig….

Oh shit, SockPuppet+ just generated this second in a row “Occupy protesters are terrorists” comment. What the F*? Why did my boss and his police PR guy smile when I told him what I just posted here? Weird.

• 44. Alex  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 2:33 pm

A system where you’re supposed to file a police report when the police abuse you, or write to your congressmen to complain about government corruption makes no damn sense.

We need some way to start holding these people accountable.

• 45. Lisa Stoutmoose  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Thank you. Shared. Love, Peace.

• 46. Anton  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 2:47 pm

One word: fear

• 47. Rogi Riverstone  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Well, we poor people have been enduring this, and much worse, for thousands of years. Welcome to our world. Any of you privileged, articulate OWSers willing to take this on, challenge the system of incarceration, work for justice and humanity for the rest of us? We’re the 99% too, you know.

• 48. Zirb  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 3:16 pm

“well, yeah, it’s all the government’s fault, and not the fault of unregulated capitalism, finance and corporate power.”

Which unregulated capitalist police forces pummeled you? Oh right, the oligarchy that protesters are protesting. Which financial powers zip tied your hands? Oh right, the financial interests that own the politicians and control the cops. Which corporations made people shit in buses? Oh right, the corporations that own the politicians that control the cops. Stop being so myopic by focusing only on government and not on oligarchs who control the government — you got pummeled by government force, naked and simple. And for libertarians, everything in the world is simple. And we want to keep it that way.

You rightly bring up the corporate power and financial elites, of course they’re stealing money and making people poor. Notice how I don’t say a word here about how the oligarchy also BOUGHT AND CORRUPTED OUR GOVERNMENT. Because that would be too not-simple. So let me continue: Nobody argues with that except DC elites or people from Cato or the Mises Institute or the mainstream media or the entire Republican Party and the entire Democrat Party elite. But that said, it’s amazing that you get pummelled by the government and then attack corporations — corporations are stealing people’s money, while governments are stealing people’s freedom and dignity. I mean okay corporations are also stealing people’s freedom and dignity, but I had to rely on the Exiled Censor to remind me of that because I wrote that they only steal money, when in fact it’s financial institutions who are fraudulently forcing millions of homeowners into destitution, financial institutions who bought the judges and politicians and had them change laws so that the government didn’t regulate them while they stole everything…
    Attack the government too! I mean sure you are attacking the government all over your pieces, but still, I want to pretend that I didn’t read it because I like my truth served “naked and simple.”

Oh, but, “When *our* people can control the government and police forces…”

[The Exiled Censor responds: “If your country has been turned into a colony of a greedy and vicious colonial power, the oppressed people understand that the local lackey hired by the colonial power to jail or beat him is only a symptom of the bigger problem, which is that the government administration is controlled by a hostile colonial power only out to steal from the people. Under your scenario, colonized people would only oppose the local administrators of that colonial power, rather than the colonial power that hires its corrupt cops and lackeys. You’re welcome for this free lesson. Stop getting your ideas from corporate toadies like Von Mises and Von Hayek and the other Vons, and start fucking thinking for yourself.”]

• 49. Ricardas  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 3:19 pm

This reading was very emotional for me. Thanks for posting. I am for peaceful protest, but i HOPE, that there will be a riot one day, and these policemen will be burned alive in action. Am I saying this because I’m a trollvocateur? Or do I really mean this? Me to know, you to find out

• 50. David Angelo  |  December 2nd, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Is this a joke commenter acting like he’s a bad-assed guy who’s seen it all?
    Listen, just because I never left my parents house, doesn’t mean I’m not a tough guy who knows what police brutality is. I watch all the shows on TV. I’m not politically correct either, and if you want abuse, you try saying something not politically correct and see what “appalling treatment” is at the hands of feminazis who make fun of you.

Anyway, here’s the rest of my comment, you’re probably not tough enough to handle it:

“appalling treatment?”

“A couple of guys around me were writhing in agony in their hard plastic seats, hands handcuffed behind their back.”

Would it have been better if they were plush leather seats? Or if several hundred people who violated direct police orders had their handcuffs removed?

This is my favorite:

“There were two vegetarians and one vegan in my cell. When I left jail around 1:30 pm, they still had not been given food…”

Nothing say “out of touch privileged middle class protester” like complaining the prison food wasn’t vegan.

GET SERIOUS.

They don’t have vegan menu options in war! Fighting is HARD. Whining makes you look silly and diminishes whatever you think your cause is.